Join Shipyard on Saturday October 17th as we support:
The White Cane Walk For Independence
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14th 2017
Registration at 9:00am
At The Iris Network – 189 Park Avenue – Portland, Maine
A Walk on the Parkside!
A 1.5 mile wheelchair accessible Walk from The Iris Network campus around Deering Oaks Park. If you do not choose to Walk, you can remain on campus at 189 Park Ave in Portland.
– Breakfast donuts, milk
– Lunch (hot dogs, chips, and a water or soda) are available.
Raffle Items & Activities:
– Wood Cubby to store firewood, kindling, paper, and matches (indoor or outdoor) create by a visually impaired artist
– An artist print
– Blind sight guide training
– … and much more!
Prizes & Merchandise:
– Both an individual and team prize will go to the party that raises the most money
– $200 of Amazon gift cards will go to the LIONS team that raises the most money
– 30 gift certificates from Shipyard Brewing Company
– A prize for the Bus Driver who makes his/her route most accessible to the blind
– T-shirts will be available for registered walkers or volunteers
– Large print calendars will be for sale for $10
– Grand Marshall, Sue Martin, a former Iris employee who is blind and advocated for herself and her guide dog on an airline flight
– Michael Robertson, founder of Shared Vision Quest, who is visually impaired and rode his bike with a partner from the west to the east coast this past summer
– Ed Marquette, a Harvard-educated lawyer who is blind, from the Midwest
– Our MC is Chuck Igo from REWIND 100.9 FM
Register to Walk or volunteer online at http://www.theiris.org/news-events/2017-White-Cane-Walk-for-Independence or contact Terri Tomchak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’d like to THANK this year’s sponsors of our Walk and our work: Maine Eye Center, Martin’s Point Healthcare, Casco Bay Eyecare, InterMed, Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Healey & Associates, GHM Insurance, Norway Savings Bank, Amica Insurance, Eyecare Medical, Eye Care of Maine, Baker Newman & Noyes, Northeast Delta Dental, Albin, Randall & Bennett, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, TruChoice Federal Credit Union, Key Bank, Coffee ME Up, Rewind 100.9, Shipyard Brewing Co., and the Falmouth, Portland, and Cumberland/No. Yarmouth LIONS clubs.